- Before you assist with dressing, wash your hands carefully to avoid spreading germs.
- Make sure that a clean set of clothes is ready to wear.
- Greet the person and explain that you want to help the person get dressed or change clothes.
- The person may need you to dress her/him completely. If possible, you can help the person to dress herself/himself.
- Remember not to pull, push or handle the person roughly.
- Assist the person to remove clothes if needed. Let the person do as much as possible without your help.
- Put the clean clothes in a place they can be reached easily.
- Make sure the person does not get too tired or dizzy. If necessary, help the person sit or lie down.
- Put dirty clothes in the laundry basket or hamper to be washed.
- Wash your hands again.
Avoid having too many choices of clothing items so the person will not be overwhelmed or confused when trying to pick out something to wear.
- Simple and comfortable clothing.
- Clothing with elastic or Velcro fasteners.
For more information: